Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hayku-yen Jhenn

I have put up the pictures and video in the last blog, as well as added more not shown here to my photo account (link on the right).

I live out of the hyaku-yen store (dollar store). My nick name is started to be transformed into "Hyaku-yen Jhenn" (100 yen) AND it rhymes. It's meant to be!

I just want everyone to know I bought a $3 apple because I was desperate for some fruit. Fruit, is expensive. One giant apple is $3. For $3 I could ride the train into the next big city for some shopping or going to the movies or anything! While pretty good, it was not the world’s best apple, as it should have been. One night I went later (they’re open until midnight.. but the selection is slim) and got some fresh cubed pineapple for $1. I need to do that more often!

Soon I will be starting school. Should be interesting.
Oh! And Saturday night I experienced an earthquake! In Komono it was a 1, but the next city over (where I was) was a 2. I was sitting on the train waiting for it to leave (we had like 10 minutes) and it kinda moved a little along the tracks. I just thought the conductor was messing with the brake. Then Chris asks if I felt the earthquake when I returned. Well geez, I guess I had!

I found the international food store (where I stocked up on pancake mix and taco shells) and down the road from it is a Book-Off. Book-Off is like an Exchange… used books, cds, dvds, and video games. It’s a dangerous place because you never know what goodies await you. My friend pointed out the KILL BILL Japanese boxsets. New. I panicked.. but then remembered the “emergency” money I hid in my wallet. This was an emergency! I had been looking at the box sets on ebay for a long time… but they would go for $150 each. The boxsets are originally priced at $80 each. I bought both for $100. They come with T-shirts, replicas, toys, cards, pamphlets, and other neat things. It was like Xmas. Beside Book-Off is a drug store…

nicedrug

I bought a new big plastic tank for my 2 fish Biscuit (L) and Wally (R). With their new air filter, those are some happy gold fish! If I can find a pet store, I would like to get one or two more.

kingyo

Yet another festival last week. LOTS of people in alleyways, lots of food, lots of games. We heard drums and smelled incense and eventually came upon a temple where people were playing taiko (traditional drums). Its really cool, check them out:



I bought a yellow sofa and an awful pink/orange shag “fur” rug for my living room. Its’ awesome. Soon I will do another (slower) apartment walk through, as I have more stuff now and it feels more like home. I’ve also begun to “pimp-out” my bike. I attached a basket to the back for my bigger shopping trips. I also have a bungee cord to hold future goods in place. I will take a picture soon.

Tonight I made a pitiful attempt at tacos that involved cabbage, onions, eggplant, tempura bits, tomato, taco seasoning and lettuce in a small soft taco. Hey, you’ve gotta adapt! I also made a bunch of buckeyes to take in to the office tomorrow. For those of you not blessed to live in Ohio (more specifically Classic Ohio, aka Northeast Ohio) a buckeye candy is a ball of peanut butter, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla, mixed together and dipped in chocolate (looking like the buckeye nut). I did not have butter or vanilla.. but you know what? They’re still delicious! I hope it’s not too sweet for their Japanese taste buds!

I have picked up a card from the tiny local library. I’ve probably already taken out all their chocolate books, a book on how to speak Japanese better, and a kids book on the mythology surrounding the Buddha’s life. When I return the chocolate books tomorrow I will get a book about a kid pirate that looks like I could read it. I also got a video rental card. On Tuesdays and Thursdays its only $2 (as compared to $3 or 4 other days), so that’s when I go! They have a large selection of Japanese horror and action movies. I should be kept tided over for awhile.

Alright, that’s all the excitement, for now. Here are some more notable pictures that I haven’t put up yet.

View from my balcony:
aptview

My awesome mountains yesterday after work:
mountains4

While waiting for the bus, my expensive camera shows what it’s capable of:
grasshopper

A view from up in the mountains on my first day;
suzuka2

From a meeting room in town hall. Do I look like I am in an intense debate?
irate

Me and my supervisor Mr. Matsunaga (on a hot morning!) with his spiff new Tribe tie. I taught Mr. Matsunaga the word “Dude” which he has amazingly picked up and properly uses practically by himself. “Dude, Where’s my car?”(ok I taught him that) “Good morning dude” “Dude!” “From dude Matsunaga” (text message) and more recently he’s learned “Dude… bummer.” He’s a very funny guy… and he LOVES Dragonball.
matsunaga

And of course.. DELICIOUS BANANA SOY MILK!
bananasoymilk
Oddly enough, the chocolate soymilk from the same brand has real milk in it.

PS- I made a folder in my photo account just for awesome photos of the Suzuka mountain range and Mt. Gozaisho (the biggest one). I have a feeling ill be taking a lot more throughout the seasons.

Until next time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

was the international food store 'Amica'?... ooooo sigh.. that was at the corner of my street.. I miss japan!! :-)