Thursday, July 12, 2007

So I'm here! Sorry for the lack of postings, been pretty busy what with going on beach vacation and having parties and whatnots.
After a lovely week at the beach, arriving back in rainy season, and nearly having a heat stroke on the train back home, I get to see this guy flailing about on his back in front of my door.

IMG_2057

Japan, and especially Japanese kids, are obsessed with any and all bugs, especially these giant beetles. A very popular pet. I screamed and ran inside before it ate my face.

As I said, it's right now is rainy season. Wednesday is also my last day of being a teacher. It's kinda sad, but I'm glad to be doing it at my favorite school, even if I have to walk 20 minutes through the rain every morning to get there.

Proof:
IMG_2081
IMG_2084

Last weekend I went and saw sumo again with Ed and his friend from home Jonny. It was a good time. The gym in Nagoya was smaller so even our seats in the back were great!

IMG_2074


On the way out there were these guys at the top of this giant wooden structure (traditionally made, no metal in it!) playing drums and chanting as everyone left. I'm assuming it has something to do with Shintoism, since everything else associated with sumo has to do with it (such as throwing salt to purify the ring before they enter it).

IMG_2080

Next week my mom is coming to visit for a week and a half! It's gonna be non stop action of touring I think.


Here I am looking masculine with the elementary baseball team:
IMG_2065

Side of Komono Elementary:IMG_2066

At the schools, there is lunch. then cleaning. then break time. Cleaning involves landscaping:
IMG_2063

Here are some of my socks I've purchased here:

IMG_2056IMG_2036
Yes, it says "Love Tomato" and has a vampire on it.

In front of most every restaurant there is a display of (sometimes quite real looking) plastic food to show what they offer.
IMG_2052
Displayed: waffles and pudding, hot cakes, pizza, curry and rice, spaghetti, omelet and rice, fried pork, etc.

The best bento (lunch container) ever:
IMG_2053


And finally, what kind of mysterious land am I living in?
IMG_2085

I get to see variations of this landscape everyday. love it.

1 comment:

Sui Generis said...

Is it a vegan vampire?

My lunchbox says "we are serious about lunchtime communication. Lunch is a good day pastime." But, it has no humorous picture. You win at bento.