Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Tokyo weekend

Ah Tokyo. Japan’s capital and most expensive city in the world.

We had a 3 day holiday weekend so I decided to surprise Ed and take him there for his birthday. The weekend was meticulously planned with sealed envelopes and hints of what adventure awaited us!

Friday

After work, we caught a late bullet train into Shinjuku, wandered to our hotel, then to the convenience store for some nibbles and call it a night!

Saturday

Saturday morning started out very magical as we headed into a “forest” park to go to the Ghibli Museum. (Studio Ghibli has made movies such as: Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, etc). This was by far the coolest museum I have ever been to. Constructed like a giant house, with tiny caged spiral stair cases and little hobbit half-doors weaving you in and out of half levels and real floors. There was no set route, and your reserved tickets guarantee it won’t be that over-crowded as well as getting you a free strip of film of a Ghibli movie. I think I had a big dumb open mouth grin the entire time there, it was just so fun.

IMG_1144
IMG_1145
IMG_1147
IMG_1157
IMG_1148
IMG_1150
Tall guys!

After that was free time. I attempted to find the possibly only letterbox in Japan. It was placed in a poor area, so it was gone (so now my soon-to-be letterbox will be the only one in Japan!). We wandered around Shibuya, home of the busiest train station and crosswalk in the world.

IMG_1165
And this is a light flow!

Afterwards we ate at a pub back in Shinjuku.

Sunday

It was an early start on Sunday, I had planned many things!

First we stood inline for about 40 minutes to make sure we got tickets for Kabuki at THE Kabuki-za theatre. For a cheap ticket, you can watch one-act of that day’s performance from the nosebleed seats on a first-come first-served basis. Because it was the first of the day, the scene closed with someone about to be stabbed!! The tension made us want to be another ticket, but alas! There were more things to do!

Next it was to a (less than impressive) flea market. But it wasn’t in vain as a bagel shop was right by it and we indulged! Getting a bagel in Japan is a big deal in the first place, but getting them fresh and watching them being made?! Well geez! It’s wonderful!

Across the street was the Imperial Palace. Even though you couldn’t get anywhere near it and the gardens appeared to be closed. It was still a nice, albeit windy, day to enjoy a stroll.

IMG_1169

Having a Sunday free in Tokyo basically means you have to go to Harajuku. Every Sunday, the youth hang out by the Meiji Shrine dressed in all sorts of costumes and get ups and nonsense. Pikachu out fits, looking like a doll, poor cross-dressing, or merely a couple of guys holding signs that say “FREE HUGs” you will find them here. They all just dress up, hang out with their friends and wait for people to take pictures of them.

You can go from one end of pop culture to traditional culture at the MEIJI shrine just by crossing the street. And this is not an uncommon scene anywhere in Japan. The Shrine itself is set in a big wooded area. A lot of people are walking with you on wide gravel path, but you don’t really notice them as the big old trees around you dwarf them and you.

IMG_1170

Once at the shrine there were a few weddings going on.


IMG_1172
IMG_1174

The white head covering represents covering the horns or jealousy that the bride will have when their men would have mistresses (back in the day).

Taking in the tranquility in a bustling place seems impossible, but it really wasn’t! We left to shop the vibrant streets of Harajuku. I resisted a $200 Hello Kitty and Gremlins.
IMG_1177IMG_1178

We ended up at a place called AMIGOS DEL TACOS. It was Japanese Mexican food, but they had hard tacos, so I’m not complaining. It’s hard to find any Mexican food, and this was semi-passable. Yum!

On our way back to the hotel we decided to do some late late night karaoke! And this place had blacklights too!

IMG_1181

Monday

Hotel Tateshina, the small hotel we stayed at was priced pretty cheap, the rooms were decent (not too small) and the staff was really nice. You could buy a Western or Japanese breakfast in the mornings. Ed got a Japanese breakfast and I brought my blueberry bagel I purchased the day before to have with some coffee and steal some of Ed’s giant bucket-o-rice. The nice food lady brought me some green tea and miso soup and another plate for the rice... for free! How nice!

We started out our lovely warm clear Monday morning with a visit to another famous temple, Asakusa. It was here in 2002 I had gotten a “bad” fortune. For 100 yen, you shake a bunch of sticks, a stick will pop out with a number on it, you find that number’s drawer and get a fortune (in numerous languages). After my bad fortune, I tried to cheat fate by getting another one and redeeming myself. Wrong. I found myself with a “worse fortune” (and that’s what it actually said-along with the sayings, “The person you wait for will not come. The sick person will not get well. The lost item will not be found.” Etc…). And when you get a fortune you do not want, you tie it on a post in the temple, and “leave” the bad luck behind.

IMG_1202
IMG_1204

So there I stood, years of revenge in my soul. I paid. I shook. I got another “bad fortune”. Angered (as my life outlook had taken an extreme turn from bad to good since previously living in Japan), I tied the fortune to the post and went to have a chat with Buddha. Feeling refreshed, I decided to get a bag of these wonderful little fried filled-donut things. Ed gave me 100 yen and told me to get another fortune. I got a “better” fortune. It wasn’t amazing, but it wasn’t horrible either. I’ll take it! Success!

Wanting to reminisce about Hong Kong, I took us to Yokohama’s Chinatown. Unfortunately, we were short on time. This warranted us enough time to eat at a restaurant even if it, and everywhere else, was pretty expensive (but it did taste like Hong Kong). I also bought a lil cute sleeping panda.

IMG_1206IMG_1209
IMG_1208

On our way home, I finallllyyyyyy got to see Mt. Fuji out the window of the bullet train!

IMG_1210

Gorgeous! I couldn’t believe it! What a perfect ending!

IMG_1211


2 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

I had no idea there was something as cool as a Ghibli museum ... it sounds just as magical as the movies themselves .. I'm so jealous!

Anonymous said...

Wow, That museum looks fun! I love Spirited Away!!! I had a friend who worked for the airline and she went to Japan on business, and she brought me back a buddha key chain with sticks inside that you shake out....I however do not know japanese....