Thursday, February 15, 2007

Happi Barentainsu Day

I'm skipping ahead a bit before giving my Tokyo rundown of the weekend. It's super windy out right now. I have a craving for grilled cheez, and luckily I bought some soy cheese in Hong Kong. Now the problem is bread. I was going to whip up a quick batch of beer bread, but it always comes out real small and dense. But thankfully, I have now learned that the kanji for "lecithin" is similar to the kanji for "milk", so all the things I have passed up have not had milk in them, just thickeners! So, I busted out my lecithin-filled yeast to make some real bread. It smelled so good when I was kneading it. I also have the very last of some vegetable soup, which I am saving to eat with the grilled cheez. I have been hungry for a good 2 hours waiting patiently with this bread. not long now!

note: I know how cheese is spelled. I use "cheez" to mark the difference of a non-dary cheese.

I told one of my teachers I was going ot kabuki over the weekend and she brought me a kabuki calendar AND Edo-period firmen in woodblock print style. Awesome!!!

Another teacher told me Tuesday that she and her husband had a heart-shaped chocolate cake for Valentine's Day. Today she told me that yesterday (Wednesday, V-day) they had some more cake and this morning her husband told her she got fat really quickly (!!!!). She gave me some advice:
"Be bery strict to you husband, in the future, ne? Very important."
(ne= alright?)
I gave Valentine's candies to the Jr High staff. The Principal and Vice-vice principal both said exactly "I am bery happy!" It was cute.

As you can see, its fun to listen to the Japanese.
bery= very
Barentainsu= Valentine's (as seen in the title)

and a lot of my students seem to want to go to Australia and pet a "coara" (Koala).

Ding! Bread's done!
More pics are up too!

No comments: