Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Running Time

Generalize Assumptions and Observations part one:
The Japanese are, in general, extremely nice and will go out of their way to help you if need be. The Japanese also, in general, have no manners. They will blatently butt in front of you, push you out of the way to get something on the shelf you are looking at, and also will not move when needed. When coming at eachother from opposite sides, either on the side of the road, in a station, anywhere where theres no so much room, they won't move. I get over because, we can both pass, as well as it's the right thing to do. Hey, if I get any farther over, I'm IN traffic, but they don't care. And old ladies are the WORST. Those types of ladies are called "obaa-tarian" obaa for "grandmother" and -tarian as the end of "authoritarian". They throw elbows. They're about 3 ft tall with big hats and hunched over from years and year of field and house work.
But all taxes are included in the price you see and you don't tip here. Things equal out I guess.


Now on to the photos!

If you're intereste in the Japanese workplace, here is my "time card" at the Elementary (the other schools are the same). I stamp my "name" stamp for everyday I'm there. It says Jennifer. duh.

IMG_0559

Saturday I went bowling. Here I am on the winning team with a Canadian and Englishman. 3 Nationalities. 1 Country. All win.
IMG_0562

We played MARIO Bowling!!
IMG_0566
IMG_0568


Sunday I went to Kyoto. Here is creepy statue.
IMG_0588

Kyoto Station decked out (like most everywhere now) for Xmas.
IMG_0595

I also went to an ikebana showing.
IMG_0573IMG_0574IMG_0575IMG_0579IMG_0580IMG_0585IMG_0586


IMG_0577IMG_0578IMG_0581IMG_0582IMG_0584


This week is "Running Time" where the little kids run around a dirt field, and the older kids run around the field and the school for 10 minutes. Everyday this week at 10:15. They warm up with happy kids music, then some jolly marching song comes on and they do start marching for 10-15 seconds, then it breaks into this mad fast rock song where they yell "We are running!" that they, along with the teachers and vice principal, proceed to run around for awhile. Then they cool down.
If I grew up in Japan, this would be the worst week of my life.

IMG_0598
Look at 'em go!

WE ARE RUNNING (and the marching)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which one is the Canadian and which is the Englishman? As for pushing people around, I wonder if its an International thing? I say this, because I live next door to the biggest middle eastern population in the U.S., and I refuse...absolutely refuse to go to any grocery stores in Dearborn. The reason being is, that when I go, middle eastern men and women will gradually push me out of line, I have to be very aggressive and hold my ground.

Jhenn said...

Actually, the people I played with were from New Zealand, Canada, 2 Brits, Trinidad, and me. all in Japan. how multicultural of us!
Bloke in the brown in British. 9say that 3 times fast!)

Anonymous said...

Jealousy! I wanna do some Mario Bowling! And, y'know, go to Kyoto and stuff. -Nick