Thursday, November 16, 2006

Booby's Golf Gallery

Yesterday I passed Mr. Booby's Golf Gallery, along with the Liquor Barn (which is pitiful when compared to Liquor Mountain). Japan has the best names for things.

Today I had 3rd graders. We reviewed "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes", they can't get enough. Even the kids who can't/won't sing the words still go mad to touch everything.
Then we learned the weather. We played Around the World (I show 2 students a picture, first to say the vocab wins) for the "weather champion" and "champion challenge" mostly for the bitter kids who were doing really well but lost in a rock/paper/scissors tie. Kids love even the tiniest stickers from America.
And then I spoke shortly on Thanksgiving and the turkey (as an icon, not a food). Japan does not have turkeys, and lots don't even know the word for turkey. I showed pictures of giant beautiful colorful turkeys and the kids went ballistic (most have not ever seen a turkey). "WOW!" and cool! and big! and pretty! and more "WOOOOOOW"s! And then I showed them how to draw a turkey by tracing your hand (and showed one I made). And when I said WE were going to DRAW turkeys (holding up a paper and markers) and they started literally bouncing up and down in their seats. It was great. And wow, I saw some colorful turkeys!


I just finished making buckeyes for a friends birthday party, and some Kahlua truffles for her. I even washed EVERY dirty dish I had. Very slowly the apartment is becoming very clean. My living room has not been cluttered since I rearanged it, yay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOOOH buckeyes (Homer Simpsonesque drool here). Did you know that most of the people in West Virginia that I have met call them "peanut butter balls?" Pitiful. Just pitiful. I think they're jealous. You have to come home and make ME the truffles

From: Crystal

Anonymous said...

I wish I had the gumption to clean. Too much house I tell ya! I dread Thanksgiving, running all over town to the in-laws, and missing dinner everytime...and stuffing...everyone has their own twist on stuffing and usually its always gross...stuffing squares, stuffing on mashed potatos.....stuffing made with gizzards...ugh....I am dry heavin' just thinking about it. I've never been one for tradition, so I decided to have Thankful Thursday at my house and we is gonna drink beer, and maybe if I feel like it, I'll throw some dinner together.