Monday, October 02, 2006

The weekend

Friday some of the 2nd graders sang me happy brithday and presented me with large cards with flowers on them saying "Otanjyobi Omedetou" (happy birthday). Here is my desk at the elementary school with said pictures, monkey coloring pictures, and other obscure desk items.

IMG_0141

IMG_0131
2nd graders playing a game I told them to.


LUNCH TIME:
IMG_0133
IMG_0140
IMG_0137
the long legs/tiny desk curse.

Lunch is interesting in elementaries. The period before lunch, all food and food serving/eating equipment mysteriously appears outside the classroom. Certain kids put on little chef outfits and hats and gloves and mouth covers so no germs get around. They form an assembly line and the other kids line up to get their milk and chopsticks, and 3 small plates of something unappetizing looking, poor kids. Other kids get the servers food for them and set them on their desk. No one eats until everythings done. If there are leftovers, kids are allowed to get more. I generally eat with whatever class I taught 4th period. One kid went back for some more rice, and dropped the metal rice lid making a very loud awful sound. I was right by it and said "OH NO!" in the same semi-amusing "oh no" voice I had been using in class earlier. Tragically, the student placed his hand upon his face and clenched his other fist and his knees slowly melted as he yelled "OH NOO!!!" Add to the fact that he kinda looked like a troll and I was laughing hysterically.

(on a side note, the kids also CLEAN the school in addition to serving their own food)

Its fall now, and even though the leaves have yet to change so much, these red flowers have popped up everywhere!!
IMG_0143

Friday I went to a little noodle shop in Yokkaichi
IMG_0150
Thassa long nooodle!!

Saturday I went to Nagoya with my friend Ed and ate at a Chinese place. The curse of the long legs/tiny table continued...
IMG_0153

Sunset in Nagoya
IMG_0164

Terribly, Ed's camera was stolen during some ATM panic. So while the poor guy filed reports, I took some pictures
IMG_0169

From a shrine nearby
IMG_0166
IMG_0167

Its been raining the past couple days, and it just stopped tonight as the sun was setting.
IMG_0191

RANDOM:
Here is a video of the produce section of my local supermarket, Mrs. Smart. Mrs.Smart generally plays very loud, annoying, rag time music, which causes me to get out of there as fast as possibly. But as I stopped in for a couple items, I noticed weird experimental electronica playing. I started laughing within 3 steps of walking in. Containing my laughter, I took the video. Sadly, it is barely audible. But you can see a little Japanese super market.



If none of my posts have convinced you to visit Japan yet, please let me show you my "Come to Japan!" campaign photo:

IMG_0149

1 comment:

Sui Generis said...

The photo of the shrine is perfect! Hello new desktop background for my work computer developing calm thruout the day. Oni wa Soto! Fuku wa Uchi!