Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Kids

Kids are the funny ones. They LOVE saying "see you!" Then a few of the first graders I was hanging out with thought my lame joke of "ABC-you!" was HILARIOUS.

This week we brain-stormed winter things, and then made a scene of winter things on paper mittens I passed out. They practiced writing their name in English (which they don't start learning until 3rd or 4th grade), colored their picture, cut it out, brought it to me and we made kind of a mitten garland.
My favorite picture was of a bunch of snowmen blowing ice "fire" on humans, capturing them in blocks of ice.

IMG_1049

The kids inspect everyone's pictures
IMG_1051IMG_1050

Here are some second graders at lunch.

IMG_1047

Tomorrow with 4th grade, we will learn shapes and then make a winter scene using ONLY those shapes. Here is my example:

IMG_1053

I hope it goes well.

**FACT** In Japan, snowmen are only made with 2 snow balls (called Yuki-Daruma). So when I tell them in America we have THREE snowballs, it was a big deal! (This inspired a few drawings of snowmen with 7 snow balls! ) Kids tried to figure out WHY 3, and some thought because we have more snow. A teacher reasoned it was because we are taller, thus can build a bigger one. I should really find out, as a teacher flipped out when they found out we used carrots for noses. Hahaha! I don't know why!

Last weekend I went to a surprise party. This photo is blurry, but it really captures the surprise and streamers.

IMG_1027
Surprise!


Last week, I noticed a weird light coming in my window in the morning. I went outside and saw this:

IMG_1011

Then I looked the other way:

IMG_1010


WOW!
I must have leprechaun neighbors?

IMG_1012
(close up)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you have to cut all those mittens?
Theres 3 parts to a snowman because each part represents the part of a body. Head, Torso, Legs.
Thats why we stick branches in for arms, but not legs.